Thursday 1 September 2011

Thursday 1st September - Left handed surgery Day 1

So this morning Gaz had drilled it into me that i am NOT to back down about the surgery and i must not see a single patient until everything is how i want it. " tell them that yesterday you felt bullied into working right handed and you feel you are being discriminated for being left handed and do not see why you must compromise the quality of your work just because the dental nurses aren't happy about walking around the chair to get things." OK, i had my spiel at the ready! I marched down to work and my nurse was in the surgery setting up. The surgery was still set up right handed so i said "I'd like to change the surgery back to left handed. I tried right handed yesterday and it was compromising my work so im going to speak to regart so we can get it changed. Colleen looked at me and then glanced at the other nurse in the room. They both looked a little concerned. I wondered off to find Regart but someone informed me he wouldnt be in today! I stood outside the directors door waiting to speak to him. It was 8am and my first patient was in but i was under strict orders from Gaz that i am NOT to see anyone until i have a left handed surgery. The nurse who had been in the room with Colleen said "umm, is Head Nurse OK with it being left handed?" i said i didnt know, i hadnt told her yet and the nurse gave a look of like UHO!!! and walked off. The director was AGES on the phone and it was now 8.15am. I was adamant i wasnt getting my patient in so i would have waited forever if i had to. I had a little mooch around the surgeries to give him some space on the phone when i found they had already moved me to a different surgery where they had begun setting it up left handed. As i was looking at the file for the first patient my nurse had the cheek to say, "Next time you go for a job, how about you find out if its left handed first?"...i said through gritted teeth...."well, i DID ask if this was a left handed job and they said it was." and she was like " yeh well you should always speak to a DA or someone, not just admin." I felt like telling her to piss off but i was more than happy to have my left handed surgery so ill let that one go. She did make a few comments throughout the day about her not having enough space on her side so they are moving me to a different surgery tomorrow "so that we can get a happy balance between what dentist AND dental nurse wants." WHY IS THIS CAUSING SUCH A BIG F*CKING DEAL JUST DO YOUR F*CKING JOB AND ILL DO MINE!!!! excuse the bad language but for gods sake!!!

I had 10 patients all day...BLISS! and one patient said he would only come back again if i was treating him. Another very nervous lady said i had been brilliant with her and all the other patients were very friendly and very grateful. Overall i really enjoyed the day and today i feel like a good dentist! Im not letting the fact that the head nurse storms past me without so much as eye contact or a smile.All the other staff are really lovely and i really enjoyed today in work. Gaz was much happier to see me happy when i got home. And to top it all off, i have tomorrow off so the weekend begins here!!!

We went for a stroll after work to Urangan Pier. We didnt realise just how long the pier is. It went on for miles! People were fishing at the end of it...next time ill take my camera and get some good shots!  We then went to subway for our din dins....yummy!


1 comment:

  1. Well done. If you hadn't sorted it now you'd have been pushed around by those nurses for the whole 6 months. No wonder they've a 9 year waiting list. They sound totally disfunctional! Chris x

    ReplyDelete